Help your site’s editors create semantic content and style it with the theme for consistent formatting and portable content. This plugin removes blocks and other styling options to help editors focus.
I built this plugin for use on client sites. I hope you’ll find it useful! This is an opinionated plugin. Read an in-depth reasoning behind the decisions made by this plugin in the post “A WordPress Formatting Manifesto.” If you find it compelling, then you’ll probably like this plugin!
Block Editor Features
This plugin greatly simplifies the block editor by hiding all of the following features. Filters are provided for developers to adjust what is hidden (including making it easier to hide additional blocks).
- Infrequently Used Core Blocks such as Verse, Table, Audio, Video, etc., and all Query- and Site-related blocks. See FAQ for full list of hidden blocks.
- All Core Block Styles and the “Default style” feature
- Some Block Editor Settings: Drop Cap, Heading 1, Heading 5, Heading 6, image percentage and pixel sizing, font sizing by pixel, open links in new tabs (mostly hidden)
- Default Color & gradient settings (Custom theme palettes/settings are never hidden)
- Block Patterns (WP 5.5+)
- Block Directory (WP 5.5+)
- Infrequently Used Jetpack Blocks – See FAQ for full list of hidden blocks.
- “Upload” and “Insert from URL” image options to encourage use of Media Library
The plugin also improves the editor by:
- Increasing prominence of contrast errors
- Styling “Save draft” as a button
Classic Editor / Classic Block Features
Reduces editor to a single row of buttons: “Styleselect” (Headings 2-4 and Blockquote as well as Strikethrough, Subscript, Superscript, Preformatted, and Code), Bold, Italic, Add/Edit Link, Break Link, Horizontal Rule, Paste as Plain Text, Remove Styles, Special Characters, Undo, Redo, Help, Distraction Free Mode.
Note on WordPress version Support
Due to frequent changes to the block editor, features are only guaranteed for the latest version of WordPress.
Hidden Core Blocks:
- Text & Media Blocks: Audio, Code, Next Page, Preformatted, Shortcode, Spacer, Table, Verse, Video
- Widget Blocks: Archives, Calendar, Categories, Latest Comments, RSS, Search, Tag Cloud
- Query-Related Blocks: Query, Archive Title (Query Title), Post Title, Post Content, Post Date, Post Excerpt, Post Featured Image, Post Tags & Categories (Post Terms)
- FSE Blocks: Login/Out, Page List, Site Logo, Site Tagline, Site Title
Hidden Core Embeds:
- Amazon Kindle, Animoto, Cloudup, Crowd Signal, Daily Motion, Hulu, Mixcloud, Polldaddy, Reverbnation, Smugmug, Speaker, VideoPress, and WordPress.tv
Hidden Jetpack Blocks:
- Markdown, Star Rating, Repeat Visitor, OpenTable, Revue, Eventbrite Tickets, GIF, Calendly, and WhatsApp Button
The plugin provides numerous filters that allow developers to hide or unhide additional blocks, block styles, or editor settings.
Code Examples for Plugin Filters
Visit the GitHub wiki for examples of filters to show/hide a block, block style, or editor setting.
Contributors & Developers
“MRW Simplified Editor” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
2.6.1 (November 22, 2021)
- [Fix] Resolve fatal error on editor screen in WordPress versions before 5.8
2.6.0 (November 12, 2021)
- [New] Hide Button block Border Radius setting by default. Show by removing
border-radiusfrom the array in the
- [Dev] Improve documentation of options that trigger hiding editor features with CSS in
- [Dev] Use is_wp_compatible_version() for version comparison
2.5.0 (August 16, 2021)
- tl;dr – WordPress 5.8 support and fixes, more hidden blocks by default, new filters to quickly unhide categories of hidden blocks
- [Fix] Use updated
block_editor_settings_allfilter instead of deprecated
block_editor_settings. Support for old filter will be removed in a future version
- [New] Hide Shortcode block since shortcodes work in a Paragraph block
- [New] Hide Archives, Categories, and Latest Comments widget blocks by default after almost never using these
- [New] Hide all new Full Site Editing/FSE and Query-related blocks (e.g. Query Loop, Post Title, Site Logo, etc.)
- [New] Add new filters
mrw_hidden_post_blocksthat can be used to unhide entire group of related blocks with
- [Fix] Re-hide
drop-capafter change in WordPress settings array.